Monday, August 16, 2010

By hook






Mrs Smith has experienced a long post-adventure malaise. There has been a very long crafting hiatus but I am clawing my way back with a little help from my crochet hook.




There has been much going on chez Smith. The mission list went up on the fridge and so it is written, so it shall be done. The luthier found the DIY god within and rooms have been painted, furniture has been moved, boxes have been ticked. Our Antique White USA has been replaced with Orange Flame in one room and Lead in the other. Rooms have changed jobs and now the J is installed in his own 'pad' and we have more living space. Its a revolution! We have entertained on no less than 3 separate occasions since the rearrangement, with enough room for grown ups and children and all. Making space for great people makes me very happy.

And I made this Orange and Rhubarb Upside down cake and I recommend it for your repertoire. It is bloody delicious!

The luthier turned 40 and great friends joined us for dinner at Black Cow. Grown up and Lush! Cape Grim beef and Holm Oak pinot followed by the ubiquitous and delicious chocolate fondant. The evening proffered great company and conversation. In fact, I learnt that ombudsman and smorgasbord are the only two Swedish words in common English usage! Fun and educational! Life on the Island is good.

So what now?
As my previous post may have foreshadowed, on return from our travels, I determined that my days as a full-time stay-at-home mum were numbered. 7 weeks of 24-7 with the little whatsits had done me in. The little lady was off to childcare. and I couldn't wait. Except for one small problem ... the good child care centres have no places and the others aren't good. We went to check one out, but the sea of snot-covered faces pressed up to glass doors and the frightening proximity of the tiny toilets to their dining tables, left me a little nonplussed.

So here we are. The Smith ladies together. All day. Every day.

I have resigned myself to it, almost. She can go when she is three and the early learning choices are a little more palatable. I can't say I am not disappointed. For a few minutes I had the whiff of freedom ( you know, that free-for-two-days-a-week-between-the-hours-of-9-and-2.30 kind of freedom) in my nostrils, and I liked what I sniffed.

For now though, I'll jump into these last months as a full-time homemaker with both feet, but I am keeping my eyes on the future.
Mrs Smith has plans.

7 comments:

Tania said...

There's a similar sort of dilemma going on in these parts. Decided I should find myself a real job. Hmn...What was it I wanted to be when I grew up?

Isis said...

i love the way you write mrs smith... mmmm

anyway sounds like you have been busy. i def like the lead. must check out this cake, i love all upside down stuff

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

I long for freedom without even a whiff and I am but 13 weeks in ... like Mrs Tania ... I forgot what I wanted to be when I grew up anyways so I suppose President of the kneedeep in nappies society will do for now xx

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

I am so glad I am not the only one seeking some sort of paid employment.. Or did I read that entirely incorrectly? !

Sounds like you have been tres busy. I like the look of your bare floors - mine are littered with crap, here, there and every-freaking-where. Tomorrow I will take to the floors with a vengeance!

kris said...

It is a revelation, and it will come so quickly, Mrs S. In the mean time, all those plans and possibilities ... it's opening up in your life.

Fer said...

Yep, 2 days a week would be just the thing, it would be good for both of you. :-)

Is that why it's really hard to say ombudsman sometimes?

D said...

Here we are again, communicating more through Blog than with tongue. It's ok for now. I'm looking forward to when we are both more free to chew the fat in person. I'm pleased you're blogging again. You only live a stone's throw. I should see you more, but for now, like all the fruits that we have to wait for, blog news is better than no news at all.